The Obsidian Knights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linkshell Skype Channel

2 posters

Go down

Linkshell Skype Channel Empty Linkshell Skype Channel

Post  Damocles Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:15 pm

Ok guys. I have some good news and some bad news about the proposed Skype channel.

First, the bad (mostly applies to PC users)......
Becuase of the way FF11 is designed, Skype is completely non accessible during gameplay. FF11 is designed to run as a "full screen" application. In the event that any program is accessed outside of FF11, the games closes and you are logged out. Dual monitors do not fix this. If you run Skype in the second monitor, as soon as you click it, FF11 closes. If FF11 ran under a window, I don't think we would be having this problem. However, the only way anybody has gotta FF11 to run under a window is through hacking tools. Users of "Final Fantasy XI Windower" claim to not use it now, as it violates the EULA and GMs have been cracking down on this. Playing FF11 in a window would allow for haxx, which is the main reason SE pushes for the full screen resolution. Those playing on the PS2 and Xbox 360 version have a "leg up" on this. If they are playing in the same room as their computer, then of course they can access Skype.

Second the good..........
Skype can be accessed and used to set up a conversation BEFORE accessing FF11. As long as you do it before opening FF11, the conversion will continute. Unfortunately, this means that parties will need to know ahead of time, or need to log out, start the conversation, and log back in. I am still looking into an independent Linkshell channel which everyone would be able to simply access before going online. This channel would give you access to a Linkshell-wide speech channel.

For now, I suggest adding user names and using Skype when able; as for a channel, it may be awhile. To use Skype with FF11, I have noticed that the quality of the headset/microphone DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Cheaper headsets do not seem to filter music and noise from your mic. This means that everyone you're talking to can hear the sound effects and music coming from your game in their headset, which jumbles up the conversation making it annoying. I suggest a stereo (2 ear) headset (about 30 bucks). Also, if you are finding yourself unable to hear, turn down the SFX in the config option within the game.

TO USE SKYPE:
1. Download Skype
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/downloading/ or http://www.skype.com and follow the download tab.

2. Install Skype using the download

3. Create User Name and Profile

4. Add linkshell members

5. Plug in mic and you're ready to rock

I have also created a forum post where people who wish to use Skype with other Linkshell members can leave their user names. However, no one is obligated to do so. I am still looking into a Skype channel for the future. If you have any questions, PM me on the forum or (/tell) me when I'm online.
-Damocles
Damocles
Damocles

Back to top Go down

Linkshell Skype Channel Empty Re: Linkshell Skype Channel

Post  Kyathus Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Great jorb Dam.

Ever since SE put out windowed mode in some update a while ago, it's ok to run the game in windowed mode. Razz

I haven't tried it, but it may work. Glad to hear that a skype chan is coming or atleast being worked on!

I really hope that people will use it, if anything but to bring the LS closer together!

Thanks Kya
Kyathus
Kyathus

Back to top Go down

Linkshell Skype Channel Empty Oops..... Window Mode......

Post  Damocles Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:28 pm

Yeah, Kyathus reminded me that window mode is now available under the config. (God how'd I miss that! Too much outdated internet research....lol) If you run FF11 under a window Skype works 100%. Window mode may lead to small graphical problems, but it depends on how strong your computer is. Anyways, sign your name in the other forum if you wish to be added.
-Damocles
Damocles
Damocles

Back to top Go down

Linkshell Skype Channel Empty Re: Linkshell Skype Channel

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down